Home‎ > ‎IsbellOnline News‎ > ‎

The case for index funds just got stronger

posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:47 AM by Tim Isbell
Consider four facts:

1. In 2015 only 40% of active managers beat the Russell 1000 (A large-cap U.S. stock index). The number for 2016 was just 20%.

2. Of the active managers who beat the indexes in one year, only about 5% did so for three consecutive years.

3. The entire net gain in the U.S. stock market since 1926 is attributable to the best performing 4% of listed stocks. The other 96% collectively matched the returns of one-month Treasuries.

4. 58% of the CRSP common stocks (US Total Market Index) have lifetime holding period returns less than those of one-month Treasuries.


For more on the implications of these four facts, check out The Case for Index Funds

Comments