Home‎ > ‎IsbellOnline News‎ > ‎

Mutual Fund Distributions & Taxes

posted Jan 26, 2014, 9:49 PM by Tim Isbell   [ updated Nov 8, 2015, 8:08 AM ]
Every January mutual fund owners find strange forms in their mailboxes. They are labeled 1099-DIV, 100-INT, 1099-B, Realized Gains & Losses summary report, and other such things. 

In order to file taxes (or intelligently talk with a tax professional) we need some understanding of the various kinds of mutual fund distributions and how they are taxed. Understanding these concepts also helps us save 10% on the next year's taxes by strategically placing some funds in tax deferred retirement accounts and other funds in taxable investment accounts.

For a primer (or refresher) on this topic, follow this link to Mutual Fund Distributions & Taxes.